Filing A Complaint

***For Environmental Emergencies PLEASE CALL 911 OR if outside Midland County call Central Dispatch at 989-832-6856***

The Midland County Environmental Health Division responds to:

  • Housing Complaints

    • i.e.mold in an apartment or bedbugs in a motel.
  • Food Service Establishment Complaints

    • i.e. restaurant employees not wearing gloves while handling food.
  • Other Issues Involving Unsanitary Conditions.

    • i.e. sewage surfacing from a failing septic system or tattoos being performed in someone's home. 
  • Grocery/Convenience/Gas Station type store Sanitation or spoiled packaged food type complaints

  • Foodborne Illness, Water, and Sewer

  • Foodborne Illness Reporting 

    • i.e. getting sick from food you ate at a restaurant or grocery store


To file a complaint, you can call us at 989-832-6380


electronically complete the form seen to the right (---->)

Please be prepared to provide the following information:

  • Your name, address, and phone number (This is required but can be kept confidential.)
  • Name of apartment/hotel/restaurant, etc. you are filing the complaint against
  • Location/address of Midland County apartment/hotel/restaurant, etc. 
  • Name and contact information for management/person responsible
  • Nature of complaint,
    • Detailed description of complaint. (Pictures can be helpful.)
    • A summary of actions taken thus far to resolve the matter.

***If you are a renter and would like to file a complaint about your apartment or home, please talk to your landlord or apartment management company about the issue first. If the problem is not resolved within a reasonable amount of time, then contact our office to file a complaint.***

Submit Complaint
What we do

Midland County Environmental Health staff will call you to discuss the complaint or incident and gather more information including whom you have reported the incident to and what you and the responsible party have done to help resolve the situation.

We will then call the responsible party to see if he is aware of the issue and what he is doing to remediate the situation. 

Our role is often to serve as a mediator or communicator between the complainant and the responsible party and clarify the roles and responsibilities of both parties. We also provide information to both parties regarding environmental issues.


What We Do NOT Do
  • In many cases, it is not necessary for us to make a site visit to verify the complaint. We have found that most incidents are resolved when we are able to get the two parties communicating and when we can clarify the expectations of both parties. Some situations, however, will involve a site visit by our staff. We will also refer some complaints, as appropriate, to other local or state agencies.

  • We do not have the equipment or resources to test for mold, detect odors or other harmful substances, spray for mosquitoes, etc. (We CAN help you find companies that can provide these services for you.)

  • We do not handle basic customer service complaints such as rude staff, lost reservations or wrong food orders. (Please report these incidents to the facility's management.)

  • We cannot assist in breaking a lease agreement, receiving a security deposit refund or suing responsible parties. (Please seek legal counsel for assistance in these matters.)

  • We cannot provide medical advice. (If you have concerns about your health, please see your health care provider.)

Contact Us

Environmental Health Services




Monday  8am - 5pm
Tuesday  8am - 5pm
Wednesday  8am - 5pm
Thursday  8am - 5pm
Friday  8am - 5pm

Closed daily for lunch from 12pm-1pm

Closed Weekends

Closed Holidays




220 W. Ellsworth St. Midland, MI 48640