If you have a complaint, it is suggested that you contact the FOC employee in the appropriate department to see if he/she can remedy your complaint. If you have done that, and you continue to have a complaint, you may draft a letter to the Director of the Friend of the Court.
In some instances, if warranted, you may file a grievance. A grievance may be filed if your complaint is about the actions of an employee or office operations. Grievance forms may be picked up at the FOC front window, or mailed to you upon request. Please note that grievances are not a proper method to address a judge’s or referee’s decision. A referee’s recommendation may be objected to, and a judge’s order may be appealed.